CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Baby Vincent Size Tracker

 BabyFruit Ticker

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Egg Salad Sandwich

Bond and I had a great Saturday.  We ran a few errands this morning, including getting father's day cards.  Then we just hung around the house, got a few things done, but mostly relaxed!  On lazy summer days and the occasional weekday lunch I love light meals.  This wonderful summertime egg salad recipe was another one from the great book my sister game me...

I really like this book it was a great find, thanks Laura!

Egg Salad Ingredients:
6 hard cooked eggs
3 tablespoons reduced-fat miracle whip
1/2 cup dices green onion
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
Serving size 1/2 cup @ 82 calories; yields 4 servings

I adjusted the ingredients for my own taste so feel free to adjust for yours.  For example, I used miracle whip instead of mayonnaise because I like it better.



Tip for hard-cooked eggs, place the eggs in a single layer in pan and add cold water to cover the eggs by about an inch.  Bring to a boil over high heat then cover and remove the pan from the heat letting stand 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes pour off the water, cover the eggs with cold water and allow to cool before peeling.

During the 15 minutes dice the 1/2 cup green onions.  Then add to them the pickle relish, celery seed, and a dash of salt and/or pepper if you like.  Place the miracle whip in a separate bowl.  When the eggs are ready peel the shell and separate the yolks.  Add two yolks to the miracle whip and mix well.  Discard or save the other 4 yolks (I put mine into tupperware for snacks later in the week).  Next dice the 6 egg whites and stir into mixture.  Last stir in the onion, relish, spice mixture.



Eat the eggs salad however you like.  In a pita, on bread, in a tortilla or by itself!  I like to toast some whole wheat bread, add some spinach and a tomato slice.  How will you eat your egg salad?


What is your favorite light summer meal??

0 comments:

Post a Comment